Sunday, May 23, 2010

Natural Hair Meetup group

A few weeks ago, I joined a Meetup group for natural ladies in the DFW area. I hadn't been to any of the events yet, but today I decided to go to my first one. It was held at the Aveda store in a local mall, to learn more about Aveda products and what they could do for natural hair. The stylist who I had my consultation with was there as well (the Meetup group is how I found out about her).

It was so much fun! One of my besties couldn't make it so I was kind of apprehensive about going alone. I don't know why, I'm not shy or anything... lol. Anyway, I went on and went and I'm so glad I did! It was so fun meeting new people and seeing how everyone wore their hair. Plus the product junkie in me loved testing out all the products. There was a good turnout, probably around 30+ people there!

One thing that did bug was that a lot of people passing by the store would stop and gawk at us. I almost felt like we were animals in the zoo, or something. Maybe they were stunned by our beauty and had to stop and stare! Yea, that's it!

Anyway, I want to encourage anyone reading this who might be newly natural or transitioning or whatever, to check out www.meetup.com, and see if there is a similar group in your area.

0 comments: