Sunday, September 12, 2010

Breaksfast On the Go

I was supposed to share these recipes last week. Oops. Anyway, I have found that I do better through the day when I have a healthy and filling breakfast. These two recipes definitely fit the bill, and they are portable. I make a batch on the weekend and put them in the freezer. I take out what I want each morning and by the time I get to work and get ready to eat, they are thawed and ready to be heated.

Quiche Cups

12 eggs
10 oz frozen chopped spinach
3-4 slices Canadian bacon, chopped
1/4 cup onions, chopped
1/2 - 1 cup shredded cheese (I use Kraft 2% Cheddar)
salt & pepper
splash or two of Tabasco, if you like a little kick
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1. Chop the bacon and onions, saute briefly in a small skillet with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Microwave frozen spinach until thawed (approx. 4 minutes). Squeeze out any excess liquid.
3. In large bowl, mix all ingredients thoroughly.
4. Pour evenly into cooking-sprayed muffin tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees.
5. Can eat hot or let cool on rack, then refrigerate or freeze individually.

To reheat, microwave on 6-7 or medium power for one minute.


Baked Oatmeal

2 cups uncooked oatmeal
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup fat free skim milk
1/2 cup Egg Beaters (or 2 eggs)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup Splenda (I don't like artificial sweeteners so I just use regular sugar)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
cooking spray

Preheat over to 350 degrees

1. Combine wet ingredients and add dry ingredients.
2. Bake in sprayed 8" square pan for 35-45 minutes.
3. Keeps well in refrigerator or freezer. Good cold or warm.

Variations - I like o add chopped walnuts and dried cranberries to the mix. Also good with mashed banana instead of applesauce. Experiment to change things up!

1 comments:

theeREALmccoy said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I've got mine in the oven baking now :)

Please share any other healthy recipes you're trying!!