Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My story

Seems like everyone is going natural these days. Tyra Banks has declared National Real Hair Day. Chris Rock just released his documentary Good Hair. The November issue of Essence has a multi-page spread about going natural.

So what does “going natural” really mean? For many, including myself, it means giving up relaxers. Relaxers are chemical straightening of the hair. For some people, it means giving up any chemicals on the hair, including color. And for others it includes giving up straightening in any form, including hot combs and heat.

I have chosen to simply give up relaxers, mainly because I am prematurely gray (lol) and they will pry the dye from my cold dead hands, and I work in a conservative field (accounting), and unfortunately even in 2009, straight hair still makes some people more comfortable.

So why did I decide to go natural? I have always been told I have a good grade of hair, but with relaxers, I could only get it to grow to a certain length. And I have very dry skin, which on my scalp manifested itself with a nasty case of dandruff, which was worse after every relaxer. I started to wonder if relaxers were really good for my hair, and in March 2009 I had my final relaxer.

And why the blog? I thought the blog would be a great way to monitor my progress, and if I helped someone along the way, even better! Another inspiration is one of my closest friends, who just adopted a bi-racial baby girl. I have been helping her search for information on black hair, and I thought “Why not compile my knowledge in one place?”

0 comments: